Skip to main content

A Bumpy Start

 

As I embark on my journey of a fresher face, I realize that it will come with some critics. My biggest one would have to be none other than myself. Every single time I wash my face, I see a contestant on America's Got Blemishes. See what I did there? Lol. Anyway, I really can't remember what my skin used to look like and I REFUSE to pull those pictures back out!

I've started out with the basic water and towel regime which never fails when it comes to feeling less disgusting at the end of the day. But with make-up comes a new kind of "end of the day" dirt. The kind of dirt that keeps Palmolive, Tide, and Zest in business. Especially, when you can't wash your face until the very end of the day. My poor pores got about as much air as a resident of Bikini Bottom.

As I continued to follow my gut regarding which face soaps to use, I never really remained consistent long enough to get real results. I had always been a microwave type of person(fast results) so the whole "3 to 4 months before you see a difference" thing didn't work out too great for me. As a matter of fact, I didn't work at all. I usually used something just long enough to get rid of a zit. But, more than anything else, I was just following protocol.

One of the most common mistakes I made was washing my face too roughly. The label usually said something about "small, circular motions" and "patting your face dry". My brain said, "That's for babies and kittens!" Honey, I scruuuuubed until all of that mask was gone! I never used anything short of about 4 or 5 squirts in the palm of my hands, either. I lathered until my face was completely full of soap and, due to the fact that I always got soap in my eyes, the 5-6 face washing session was quite comical.

Another huge mistake that I made was the fact that I never moisturized my face properly. I think I was so used to putting regular lotion all over my body(including my face. Yikes!) that I assumed that I was taking the correct precautions when it came to reducing dryness on my face. On top of that, I never used a toner. Toners usually put the finishing touches on a freshly clean face, wiping away soap residue and other unwanted leftovers. So I was, indeed, turning my face into a brown skinned junk yard. I didn't tone and I was putting body creams for the body on my face. Way to go, Charelle.

I eventually wised up once I started working at a cosmetics counter. Mainly because my boss practically made us use the products to help promote and sell them properly. And that makes sense. It made even more sense that it was free for me. So I obliged. I was introduced to the disciplines of the 3 step rule of skincare: Wash, Tone, and Moisturize. These 3 amigos became my amigos. By default, but none the less. Anyway, things were going smoothly. That is until I switched jobs. Once I switched jobs, the discipline of the 3 step rule soon left my priority list. I went back to the basics of face bathing.

Once my income changed, due to stress, so did my skin. The nightmare of breakouts and blemishes started all over again. It was awful. It started with one on my right cheek and that same cheek was full of blemishes full at least a full year. I went back to wearing cheap make-up and using regular soaps to clean my face. My skin felt rougher than it ever had. I tried just about every brand on the shelf yet I was still needing to just stick to one thing. Too much inconsistency does plenty of damage to the skin, by the way.

Lately, I've been using a supplement called Evening Primrose Oil. I'll be honest, I expected to pop one of these and wake up with a honeydew melon glow or something. Something! Well, I didn't. I've actually noticed about 3-5 extra bumps on my face over a period of 2 1/2 weeks, including one on my boob. I know, right?! Crazy! However, I've noticed some smoothness that wasn't there before. I also moisturize with African Shea Butter and I use Black Soap to clean my face every night. I'm, again, pretty optimistic about the results.

Though I look like a decorative cookie every night(spots of shea butter with zits underneath), I am dedicated to the persistence that it takes to achieve my goal. My goal is to retain and maintain healthy skin. I've even made a commitment to put more fruits and vegetables in my diet. I had Pringles today, but that's not the point. Ha! The point is that I am doing it. You can do it, too! You'll hear all about my results. You'll see them, too. Trust me, I'll be posting. :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Become The Wife That He Prays To Find

Lately, it's been popular among some single women to pray for a Russell Wilson or ask Ciara what she prayed to get him. If you go to Instagram and type in #Ciara, you'll likely find of picture of her and her new husband Russell Wilson. And yes, he will likely be holding one of their children. (One of which she had with her ex Future, for those who don't know the backstory.) We all cheered for her as she went from being publicly ridiculed after a nasty breakup from a seemingly toxic rapper to then being treated like ole girl at the end of Coming To America by a Jesus following NFL star. (Geesh) We all wanted some of that answered prayer! I know I did! But I've grown enough to know to be praying and asking God to make me the woman that attracts and keeps a good man like that. (Of course, we don't know him personally, but I hope you know their story enough to know why I'm referencing him.) Even in a season of marriage, that time shouldn't be spent looki

Maybe...

Day 1: The 1st Text Him: Good morning, beautiful Her: Awwwww. (lovey dovey emoji face) Thank you! Yes, it is a good morning! Him: What ya got planned for today? Her: Going to work then going to hang with my girls for a evening session of chats. Lol. Later that day, after he didn't respond to your last text: Her: Hey, you. Just got off of work. They whipped my butt today. Lol. What are you up to? Him(almost immediately because he never was busy): Nothing much. About to link up with some of my guys for a bit. Might hit up a party or two later on. What are you on for the night? (At this point, already, you start to question whether or not he's even genuinely interested in you because he didn't pay attention to your text from earlier. But you ignore your instincts and proceed texting) Her: I was going to hang with some of my girls tonight. Him: That's what's up? What time are you doing that? Her: In a couple of hours or so. I won't be over there that long, though.